CommunitySince the Gold Rush days our hotel has been a hub for the local community, which we continue to encourage. We:
- sponsor many local community organisations and events
- are a significant local employer
- offer hotel facilities without charge for community groups
- welcome families (including a childrens’ quiet play area)
- provide a safe environment and do not allow anti-social behaviour
- source local products and trades
ProduceWe strive to source the best quality, sustainable and ethical produce. We:
- use premium quality ingredients
- use free range chicken (Lilydale) and free range eggs (Little Yarra Valley Free Range Eggs)
- source as much as possible from local suppliers listed below - produce, wines, coffee, soaps, spirits, beer, cider, etc
- ensure we source ethical and sustainable products
Climate ChangeWe strive to reduce our carbon usage as much as possible.
- To date we have installed 100 solar panels providing approx. 27KW of solar power, and have plans for more
- We attempt to source as much as possible locally reducing transport impacts - see supplier list below
- We have updated major hotel appliances to be more efficient
- As we have made improvements to the hotel, lighting has been switched to more efficient options, particularly LED
- Transitioning from electricity to more LPG, including hot water
WasteWe are very conscious of our waste footprint and we source, separate and recycle. We:
- work to minimise waste
- use paper straws and encourage customers not to use straws at all
- utilise paper and cardboard take away containers, rather than plastic or polystyrene
- separate cardboard; glass, cans, plastic and other recyclables; food waste; and general waste.
- while organic waste services are not available in Alexandra, food scraps are separated and used off-site to feed chickens, stock and pets
- have recently invested in a cardboard baler to improve efficiency of carboard recycling, and to ensure that the cardboard waste is actually recycled
- collect our used cooking oil and have it collected for recycling
GamingWe do not and will not offer poker machines, a TAB, ticket machines and other forms of gaming. Our hotel is a non-gambling, family friendly business.
HistoryWe love the history and heritage of our 150 year old hotel and this town, and have made real efforts to preserve and present the history.
- We have used heritage consultants prior to making improvements, and retained our own to ensure we are preserving things of significance
- History boards adorn the front of the hotel and internal rooms.
- Accomodation rooms have history notes in picture frames pointing out features of significance
- We are working on a history of the hotel
Our local suppliers include:
Goulburn River Trout, Thornton Butcher, Dindi Soaps, Great Divide Coffee, Venns Wholesale Fruit and Vegetables, Little River Wines, Sedona Estate Wines, Little Cathedral Wines, Philip Lobley Wines, Mt Cathedral Wines, Gioiello Estate Wines, Little Yarra Valley Free Range Eggs, Koala Orchards, Mansfield Hospitality Supplies, Napoleone Brewery, Alexandra Freight Lines, Alexandra Newsagent & Lotto, Redrops Supermarket, Alexandra Grain Store, Yenkens Hardware, Casa Di Flora, Travis Capp Plumbing, Jay Williams Electrical, Hedger Constructions, Maloney Home Maintenance, Alexandra Refrigeration, Heard Glass, Custom Canvas.